Codependency and Self LoveDec 03, 2018
Codependency shows itself in very subtle ways and is often hidden beneath other factors. Even though it’s hard to put our finger on it all the time, it will hurt us greatly if it goes unnoticed and uncorrected.
Simply defined, codependency is the “lost self.”
Culturally, we are receiving messaging that often glorifies codependency. Society celebrates the “happy ending” in such a way that encourages us to look outwards for love. And doesn’t emphasize how important it is to love ourselves first.
Often we talk about this in the setting of relationships. But codependency can also occur with processes or substances as well as with people. It’s really when we “lose ourselves” to something outside ourselves.
This episode offers a new perspective on codependency. We draw some meaningful parallels between codependency and addiction. You’ll also learn some clear symptoms of codependent relationships.
Then discover tips on how to avoid a cycle of codependency in your own life. (HINT: Self love is crucial.)
Finally, we’ll share some simple mindset shifts that will help you find and hold important boundaries. And become more aware of your own needs.
Some topics covered in this episode:
- Explaining what codependency is.
- How addiction is related to codependency.
- Dissecting “identity.”
- Why your values matter.
- Cultural influence on codependency.
- How awareness can prevent an identity crisis.
- Ways to be more emotionally resilient.
- Codependency and enmeshment.
- The model of development.
- Why looking outwards for our happiness is dangerous.
- How boundaries help manage over-functioning.
- Tips on improving self care.
- Stopping codependency for future generations.
- Why self love is the answer.
Don't miss a beat!
New moves, motivation, and classes delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.